July 9, 1861
THE FOURTH IN NEW
ORLEANS—The New Orleans Delta gives the following account of the military
review at Camp Lewis, near that city, on the 4th
The review came
off at the hour appointed. The sickness
of Mr. Soule deprived the crowd of the expected oration from him. But that ever ready and inexhaustible patriot
and orator, Dr. Palmer, supplied his place, and entertained and edified the
vast assemblage with a brief and most eloquent discourse upon the duties of
citizens and the proud associations of the day.
After the oration
the review was formed. There were about
three thousand troops in line. Four
companies had been ordered from the camp on special duty, which reduced the
number in camp, but still there were enough to make a most imposing array. The line, when formed, occupied two sides of
the large field. It consisted of about
four hundred cavalry, two hundred and fifty artillery, and twenty companies of
infantry, forming the brigades of Gens. Labuzan and Trudeau. We have not time or space to enumerate all
the companies, but they were in full ranks and in their appearance and
movements equaled the best troops we have ever seen. The largest battalions were the Orleans
Guards, Col. Augustin, and the Battalion of Artillery under Major Theard. The fullest companies were the Garibaldians,
in their gorgeous uniform; the Steuben Guards, composed exclusively of German
citizens; the Leeds Guards, composed of the Employees in Leed’s Foundry—an
admirably drilled and uniformed corps of stalwart young men; the City Guards, a
new company, composed of merchants, commanded by that gallant and able officer,
Capt. Race; the Continental Guards, in the old uniform of 1776, under Capt.
Hodgkins; two companies of juveniles, etc.
There were several fine horse companies from the country, well mounted
and armed. The troops were reviewed by
the Governor and Adjutant General and staff, in full uniform, were marched in
column, and then dismissed.
There could not
have been less than ten thousand persons present to witness this fine display
of the military strength and organization of our city.
[Transcribed by Sharon Strout]