Anderson (SC) Intelligencer
September 18, 1860
GEORGETOWN—We have been informed
by the Captain of the Rifle Guards that Mr. Plouden C. J. Weston, has ordered
a Whitworth Gun, for the use of the Company.
In May last, Mr. Weston proposed to furnish this Gun, but for the want
of a suitable building for its protection, his generous offer was not
immediately accepted. There are,
however, at this time, subscription lists in circulation, for the erection of a
Military Hall and Armory, to be used by the Volunteer Companies of the District, and the offer of Mr.
Weston having been accepted, the Gun has been ordered.
congratulate the community that we have so efficient a Corps to use this
formidable weapon, and must be permitted to express the hope that all our
citizens, especially property holders, will feel privilege, as well as a duty
to contribute towards the erection of a building in which the Whitworth Gun,
howitzers, and other arms may be securely placed, for the protection of the general
--Pee Dee Times—
[Transcribed by Sharon Strout]